Scientific name: Prunus dulcis
Description: This is native to the Middle East and South Asia. The fruit of the almond is a drupe 3.5–6 cm long, consisting of an outer hull and a hard shell with the seed inside. The seed is the nut. It is often eaten on its own, raw or toasted. It can also be mixed in various dishes. Almonds are available also as almond butter, almond milk and almond oil.
Nutrients in Almonds
Almonds are regarded as the king of nuts probably because it is thought to be the most healthy and nutritious of all nuts. They are not just good for improving the overall health of the body and the mind; they are also used as home remedies for many common ailments.
* Almond is a good source of vitamin E. Vitamin E is an antioxidant that is good for building healthy tissues and blood cells and can reduce the chances of cataract, cardiac diseases and cancers.
Oil of Vitamin E can also be applied on skin to prevent premature wrinkling and increase growth of new cells on the skin. The Almond oil is also good for the hair.
* Almond contains folic acid or folate, a B-vitamin that helps to reduce the chances of birth defects in babies.and is also good for making red blood cells. Folate also protects the heart from cardiac problems like
stroke and heart attacks.
* Almond contain iron, which helps to carry oxygen to the organs and cells.
* It is also rich in zinc(helps to heal wounds); magnesium (good for the bones and muscles); phosphorus(helps body to process carbohydrates, fats and protein; copper (can oxygenate the various parts of the body and can keep the nerves, blood vessels and bones healthy)
* Rich in phytochemicals, thus protecting the body from cancer, heart diseases and other diseases.
* Despite of the fact that almonds are quite high in calories. Studies indicate that people who eat almonds regularly are at a lower risk for gaining weight. Since almonds are very high in fiber, protein and
mono-saturated fat, they can help you feel full for a longer time and it also help reduce fat in the abdominal area.
* Almond contains laetrile or amygdalin which is known to be an anti-cancer nutrient.
THOUGH THE CONTENT OF THIS BLOG HAD BEEN TRIED & TESTED AND HAD BEEN USED
AS FOLK/HERBAL MEDICINE IT IS STILL BEST TO CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR.